June 6, 2012

Planting Flowers

There is nothing (most) kids like better than getting a little dirty.  My students love planting their own seeds.  I use the clear plastic punch cups.  This allows the students to see the seeds split open and the roots.  We plant our seeds in small groups.  I usually plant a few extras in case someone's does not sprout.  As we plant our seeds, we make predictions about our plants and complete the prediction portions of our data sheet. 

Plant Prediction Data Sheet  

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MqIpEioyJnEIpffhJVM5XOT8TOkVq60uF3gJUgUWgfU/edit

I usually use zinnia seeds, but I revamped my data sheet so any seed can be used.  We put our plants in the window and water them with a spray bottle.  This helps the students prevent overwatering.  I keep the prediction data sheets until it is time to send the plants home.  The students complete the data sheets on the day their plants go home.  Keep the plants at school as little or as long as you like.  I find it is best to send them home sooner than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment