June 12, 2012

Introducing Insects!

My insect unit is probably one of my most favorite!  I usually spend a few weeks on insects (including butterflies).  We kick our unit off with a KWL chart to see what my students already know about insects and what they would like to learn. 

I have a ton of insect books that I read to the students over the course of the few weeks.  The students also have access to these books.  I usually start with bees.  I read some informational picture books and our class dicusses what makes an insect an insect and the function of the different body parts of insects. 



Next, I read The Honeybee and the Robber by Eric Carle.


Finally, my students color and label the parts of a bee.  We add the book cover forThe  Honeybee and the Robber.  These pages are laminated and added to the Carle/Gibbons books.

No comments:

Post a Comment