May 23, 2012

From Seed to Plant




I haven't done a very good job at keeping my blog updated, but I'm back on it and have tons to share. 

Let's talk plants!  I really enjoy our plant unit.  To begin the unit, the class and I create a KWL chart about plants.  I start the week off by reading From Seed to Plant by Gail Gibbons.



Next, the students complete another page for our Carle/Gibbons book. We discuss sequencing and the correct order a plant grows. The students start with this sequencing page. They color and cut out all the pictures. Then, the students put the pictures in the correct order. We use sequencing clue words such as first, next, then, and last. 

Here are two examples of the finished product.  Sometimes I make small changes to the pages from year to year (that's why my example is different from the student example).  After the students glue the pictures in the correct order, they add a picture of the book cover.  I laminate the pages and hold on to them to add to their Carle/Gibbons books.

No comments:

Post a Comment